Friday, May 25, 2012

Sea Bliss

"When I fully enter time's swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here"
~Ann Voskamp, author of 1000 Gifts

Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts set me on a journey (along with a few hundred thousand other people) to be thankful for the gift of every moment. I began my list of 1000 gifts on a trip to Cabo San Lucas in February. These are a few of the moments.


Pearl-skin sentries 
quell the crush 
of tidal cliffs

their red tile hats
hide shaded eyes 
in silence they stand watch

as fixed-wing gulls 
ride invisible swells 
of breezes that blow

white-lipped lapis 
onto a popsicle stick of sand 
that vanishes slow.

An elegant script
of morse code clouds 
scrolls across the sun

whose final work
a crescent curve,
settles in the sea.

Inside, a milky veil
breathes through the open door
     
and a daisy fan on the
ceiling above whispers
he loves me
    he loves me
       he loves me 

in a rhythmic hum.

I felt fair(ly) happy with this poem until I read writer/poet LL Barkat's "Rumors of Water: Thoughts on Creativity and Writing." She notes how frequent(ly) writers try to channel Ann Voskamp (I could hear her laughing as I read the words). Though achieving Voskamp's voice is an exercise in futility, I fell prey to the trap nonetheless.  I revised the poem and only LL can decide if I succeeded. Mea culpa: I couldn't resist dropping an -ly or two. Who can blame me - adverbs are evil. 

3 comments:

  1. Lol, I noticed "slow" and thought "Ann Voskamp."

    It's also a matter of energy level, and I feel yours coming through, but perhaps you are even more energetic than this? Only time will tell ;-)

    (The popsicle stick was where I suddenly felt your energy come through :)

    Beautiful nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. inside a milk veil an open door...nice...i also like the popsicle stick of land...that is very creative....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voskamp is as good a poet as any to begin, but the real object of the game is to find your own voice, and if dropping a few -ly's achieves this, then continue! This one, however, feels different enough, and there may be here the intimations of something uniquely yours.

    ReplyDelete